Monday, August 3, 2015

August 1, 2015


It was any other morning on hospital bed rest. Actually, it was above average. I was brought in a really delicious breakfast sandwich that was making my pregnant taste buds extremely happy. After I gobbled that down, my nurses came and took my blood pressure, which was it's standard high. Then I tried to rest.

Even though it was Saturday and she was off, my doctor came around 11 am to see me (I adore her).  She said she would stop by on Monday and we would check and see if my cervix was dilated at all, then she left. Just a few minutes later she came back into the room, said that my protein test had just come back with a number of 500 (300 means preeclampsia and all my other results had been below 290). In a second everything changed. We were going to be having a baby that very day. Right away she came back in and checked my cervix - no dilation. Definitely time for a c-section.

In those moments I was overcome with adrenaline. It was 1130am and she said that we would be having him at 2pm. I called Matt, my mom, and his mom. The nurse told me to get into the shower and use this special scrub to cleanse my body really well before surgery. When I stepped into the shower, I broke down. I let the water run over me and I cried. I cried really, really hard. I was overcome with fear for my baby and for myself. I ugly cried out to Jesus for strength, peace, and protection.

I felt extremely weak and strong at the same time. Surgery? Me?! I'm going to be a mom today? I'm not ready yet. I need more time. No no no, he's too little. He's only 34 weeks and 1 day! More tears. More water ran over me in the shower. I know God heard my deepest cry out to him. From the depths of my soul I was crying out to him for strength.

I stepped out of the shower, dried off my body and was overcome with a new peace. Don't get me wrong, still scared, nervous, and apprehensive inside - but calm. I was then shaved, prepped, and dressed for surgery. Matt, my mom and his mom all arrived and I was ready. I looked lovely covered in blankets and a hair net and wheeled up to the OR. Matt looked so handsome in blue scrubs. Of course, they were too short for his long legs, but who cares.

I have to take a moment to explain how amazing the staff here have been to me. I haven't had a problem with ONE nurse, doctor, or anyone. What a blessing. This day was no different. My anesthesiologist made this surgery so easy on me. I leaned over the table while he gave me my spinal and it was painless. I remember how quickly my legs went numb. Heavy, my whole lower body. It's quite a sensation. He sat up by my head, stroked my face, have me oxygen and treated me like I was his own family member through my entire c-section. He was also encouraging to Matt. He told him when to stand to see the baby coming out, when to be ready. There were easily over 10 people in the OR including Matt and I. There was one nurse, Cecilia, who asked Matt for my phone so she could take pictures. They are amazing! Pictures of my son leaving my womb, my husband holding my hand, seeing Logan for the first time. How priceless. She didn't have to do that - but she did. Wow - what a blessing to be surrounded by people who were so genuine during such a scary and beautiful moment in my life.

I know I have typed this up so quickly it feels like a whirlwind. But that's exactly how it felt. One moment I was swollen and on bed rest wondering if I could make it through this journey. The next moment I am in recovery with a stapled stomach and an empty womb. My sweet baby boy was taken to NICU immediately after he was taken out of me and held to my face for a moment. He needed some help breathing. Matt went along with him. I was completely coherent through this entire experience. No nausea, no pain, no "out of it" feelings. I am so happy about that.

There are so many more little details I want to add. But there are almost too many. I am sitting here in Antepartum again, resting while I recover. My little boy is down the hall in NICU and I can walk down and see him anytime. The staff is still stellar. They are taking care of me and taking such good care of my boy.

I want to hold him. Part of my heart is definitely down the hall in NICU. God is good.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, I'm in happy tears reading this. I love you all so much! Congratulations on sweet little Logan. It has been a privilege to watch this whole journey and your family grow from two to three. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete